December 15, 2013 marks the one-year anniversary of Sombath’s disappearance. Sombath was last seen on the evening of December 15, 2012 in Vientiane. Closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage showed that police stopped Sombath’s car at a police post. Within minutes after being stopped, unknown individuals forced him into another vehicle and drove away. Analysis of the CCTV footage shows that Sombath was taken away in the presence of police officers. This fact supports a finding of government complicity.
Civil Society Organizations initiate various campaigns on the one year of enforced disappearance of Sombath Somphone.
Below is a list of press releases and statements issued in relation for campaign on the one year of Sombath’s disapperance:
- Where is Sombath?
- Laos: Anniversary of ‘Disappearance’ Demands Action; Government Should Disclose Whereabouts, Account for Sombath Somphone
- Lao PDR: Government Must Account for Fate of Sombath Somphone.
- Sombath Somphone one year on: 62 NGOs call for a new investigation into his enforced disappearance
- Solidarity Message delivered by Debbie Stothard at the Protest Action in front of the Lao Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand
- Mr. Sombath Somphone’s enforced disappearance and demands for his safe return
The courtesy of photo is by http://sombath.org/
- To campaign to the widest public that the Government of Lao PDR to release and return Sombath Somphone safely
- Government of Lao PDR
- Human Rights Watch
- International Commission of Jurists
- The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH)
- SAPA Working Group on ASEAN
- Asia Europe People’s Forum