Apply by: September 30, 2014
Currently, the ASEAN Secretariat is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the vacancy of Technical Officer who will work under the Social Welfare, Women, Labour & Migrant Workers Division, which is under the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Department.
The ASEAN Secretariat is the nerve centre of ASEAN which is a regional inter-governmental organisation founded in 1967 to promote peace and stability, sustained economic growth,
shared-prosperity and social progress. It comprises the ten countries of Southeast Asia.
The entry into force of the ASEAN Charter on 15 December 2008 has provided new impetus to ASEAN’s integration efforts by establishing a legal framework and an institutional setup required to achieve the ASEAN Community by 2015. This includes the newly approved organisational structure of the ASEAN Secretariat that is aligned to the requirements of the Charter and the three Blueprints of the ASEAN Political-Security Community (APSC), the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), and the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community (ASCC). The ASEAN Secretariat is therefore well positioned to provide the necessary functions required to effectively support the community-building process under the Charter and the Blueprints.
Currently, the ASEAN Secretariat is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the vacancy of Technical Officer who will work under the Social Welfare, Women, Labour & Migrant Workers Division, which is under the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Department. This Division is responsible to manage ASEAN cooperation in labor and migrant workers, women’s advancement and gender quality, social welfare and development, rural development and poverty eradication, and civil service matters. The Technical Officer will support the Division’s work in facilitating ASEAN cooperation on labour sector.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties will cover, but not limited to, the following:
1. Provide administrative support for project development and implementation in support of the ASCC, particularly on labour sector:
- Assist in liaising with the project consultants or implementing agency for project coordination and implementation.
- Support and assist with the update and monitoring of the development and finalisation of the strategic plans/ programmes/proposals.
2. Assist in disbursing and reporting of project funds:
- Assist in the process of receiving and disbursing funds within a dedicated trust.
- Assist with the reporting on disbursement of funds.
- Liaise with the Finance and Budget Division.
- Assist with monitoring the status of project funds from donors according to planned/ estimated costing of activities, and the status of the Project Financial Report.
3. Provide technical and administrative assistance to the relevant ASEAN bodies of the ASEAN Social Cultural Community (A SCC) with respect to meetings:
- Support in contributing to the ASEAN Bodies with respect to their Meetings by ensuring the development and production of documentation and written materials related to the Meeting, such as Agenda, Information Papers, Concept Papers, and other communication materials.
- Compile and/or provide (filing) the relevant document such as briefing notes, talking points and presentations for the meetings.
- Assist with the drafting of meeting and/or mission reports.
- Assist with the coordination of follow-up actions and decisions with relevant internal and external parties.
4. Assist in facilitating requests from the ASEAN Member States, Dialogue Partners and International Organizations as required:
- Assist in providing timely and prompt update and responses to queries from Member States and external sources with respect to ASEAN Cooperation in Social Development, with regard to areas under purview.
- Support in the preparation and submission to relevant Divisions within the ASEAN Secretariat the up-to-date information on the ASEAN Cooperation in Social Development, with regard to areas under purview, with the Head of the Division informed of the essential developments.
- Assist in the preparation of information, materials and publications for public dissemination through the ASEAN Website and other means in consultation with Public Outreach and Civil Society Division and other relevant ASEAN Secretariat Directorates and Divisions to raise higher profile of the ASEAN Cooperation in Social and Human Development, in realising the ASEAN SocioCultural Community (ASCC).
- Maintain and update database of Focal Points and Projects.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Social Sciences, Economics or an appropriate related field ordiscipline with a minimum five (5) years of relevant work experience in technical role. Candidates with Advanced degree in any of the above disciplines with three (3) years relevant work experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge and policy, research and technical skills in the relevant area and ability to acquire them.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, monitor and review policy and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organise tasks and work flows, with proven ability for accuracy under pressure and adherence to deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships with stakeholders.
- Demonstrated commitment to collaborative work practices.
- Proven skills in problem solving in a complex organisational environment and in work planning.
- Sound oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills, including experience in cross-cultural environment and international settings.
- Competency in computer skills with adequate knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook where relevant to the position.
- Sound command of English, written and spoken.
Remuneration and Benefits:
Successful candidate will be offered an attractive remuneration package including monthly transportation allowance, outpatient medical reimbursement, hospitalisation insurance,
and annual bonus of a month’s basic salary. Subject to good performance during the probation, the candidate will be offered a fixed term contract of three (3) years, inclusive of the 6-month probationary period. Selected candidate is expected to start on 1 November 2014.
How to apply:
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org highlighting your suitability and potential contribution to the position together with a detailed CV, including a recent passport-sized
photograph and certified true copies of educational certificates obtained, and completed Employment Application Form, which can be downloaded at www.asean.org.
Please indicate on the subject heading: Application for Technical Officer of SocialWelfare, Women, Labour & Migrant Workers Division.
Application papers should reach the ASEAN Secretariat by 30 September 2014.
The Selection Committee’s decision is final and only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.