Apply by: May 15, 2015
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Secretariat is the nerve centre of ASEAN, a regional inter – governmental organisation founded in 1967, to promote peace and stability, sustained economic growth, shared prosperity and social progress. It comprises the ten countries of Southeast Asia.
The entry into force of the ASEAN Charter on 15 December 2008 had provided new impetus to ASEAN’s integration efforts by establishing a legal and institutional framework required to achieve the ASEAN Community by 2015. This includes the newly approved organisational structure of the ASEAN Secretariat that is aligned to the requirements of the Charter and the three Blueprints of the ASEAN Political-Security Community (APSC), the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), and the ASEAN Socio – Cultural Community (ASCC). The ASEAN Secretariat is therefore well positioned to provide the necessary functions required to effectively support the community building process under the Charter and the Blueprints.
Currently the ASEAN Secretariat is looking forqualified candidates to fill the position ofSenior Officer under theAIPA, ASEAN Foundation, AICHR and Entities Associated with ASEAN (AAAEAA)Division. This position shall work in close cooperation andconsultation with, and report directly to the Head of AIPA, ASEAN Foundation, AICHR and Entities Associated with ASEAN Division.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1.Manage and monitor the operational activities of programmes and projects implemented under the Five-Year Work Plan 2010-2015 of the AICHR and subsequent work plans
- Plan, coordinate, implement, and monitor strategic initiatives, programmes, projects and activities of the AICHR, in consultation with the Head of Division, the Director of the Directorate and the AICHR.
- Provide supervision and coaching to subordinates to ensure timely and quality output and deliverables in the concerned sectors.
- Initiate, coordinate and provide project management development and supportfor AICHR projects and programmes, including liaison and project coordination with project proponents/ ASEAN Member States, ASEAN Dialogue Partners, other external parties/ partners, and internal ASEANSecretariat divisions/units.
- Manage relations and information flow with ASEAN Member States, ASEAN Dialogue Partners, other external parties/partners,and relevant Divisions within the ASEAN Secretariat, including preparation and submission of input and reports, drafting of speeches and briefing notes/talking points.
- Prepare reports of meetings, projects, and discussion papers.
- Prepare information materials and publications for public dissemination through the ASEAN Websites and other means in consultation with Public Outreach and Civil Society Division and other relevant ASEAN Secretariat Directorates and Divisions to raise the profile of the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights(AICHR).
2. Provide technical advice and recommendations
- Provide technical advice and recommendations in the conceptualization and management of initiatives, programs, projects and activities on humanrights. This will include operational support including preparation and tabling ofconcept papers and proposals, and in the provision of advice andrecommendations to the AICHR.
- Provide input to other Divisions of the ASEAN Secretariat, particularly oncross‐sectoral issues related to human rights.
- Coordinate update of progress on human rights issues in respect to sectoralwork plans (and similar documents) including the three ASEAN CommunityBlueprints, and provide reporting input to the Division.
- Coordinate with the relevant Divisions/Desk Officers onproject development,processes and on cross-sectoral issues including the Strategic Planning andCoordination Division.
- Ensure that financial rules and regulations are adhered to and respected
- Initiate, develop and negotiate collaborative activities with relevant organizations/external partners.
- Attend and summarise meetings with external partners.
- Any other matters as directed by the Division or Directorate.
3. Service the relevant bodies/organs under the ASEAN structure
- Represent the ASEAN Secretariat and serve as resource person at Meetings of relevant ASEAN sectoral bodies as well as meetings of other organizations under purview (e.g. as a speaker, facilitator or moderator).
- Support and contribute to the meetings of relevant ASEAN bodies by ensuring efficient and effective development and production of documents, such as meeting agenda, information and discussion papers, concept papers, project proposals and other communication materials, as well as prepare meeting reports of AICHR or working group level meetings and workshops, as requested.
- Provide support for the attendance of ASEAN Secretary‐General/Deputy Secretary‐General at meetings/events organized by ASEAN, other international organizations, or Dialogue Partners, which include drafting talking points, briefing notes or speeches thatcover/carry some policy recommendations or regional responses to issues raised.
- Coordinate and implementthe follow‐up actions to decisions and agreements made at ASEAN Meetings.
- Attend and summarise meeting reports of the CPR and CPR-Working Group meetings under relevant agendas.
- Ensure that the Division is adequately represented at internal or external meetings with the provision of necessary documents, talking points and briefing notes
- Provide technical support to the Secretariat’s engagement with the AIPA, ASEAN Foundation and Entities Associated with ASEAN activities, where relevant.
Qualifications and experience:
- Postgraduate Degree or its equivalent in Public Administration, Human Rights, Social Sciences, Development Studies, International Relations, Project Management, or other appropriate specialist disipline
- A minimum six  years high-level experience in a relevant field, particularly related to a program of this nature in a intergovernmental institution, international organization or international consulting firm. Program development experience in human rights is essential
- Excellent verbal and written command of the English language, including significant experience in drafting and summarizing reports, writing concept papers, talking points, speeches and project proposals, and in moderating discussions and delivering presentations
- Experience in identifying training and professional/technical development needs of staff
- Demonstrated skills in probelm solving, planning and the development of policies and procedures
- Demonstrated ability to motivate staff and work effectively with people at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct both formal and on the job training, and foster the career development goals of staff
- Demonstrated sound oral and wrotten communications skills and sound interpersonal skills, including experience in cross – cultural environment and international settings
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships with stakeholders
- Demonstrated commitment to collaborative work practises
- Competency in computer skills with adequate knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook where relevant to the position
- Proven ability for accuracy under pressure and adherence to deadlines
- Excellent command of English, written and spoken
- Ability to work outside working hours, over weekends and long hours
- Multitasking skills
- Human rights experience or knowledge is a pre-requisite for the job
Remuneration and Benefits
Successful candidate will be offered an attrractive remuneration package including housing, outpatient medical reinbursement, hospitalization insurance, education of the dependent children and gratuity. Subject to good performance during the probation, the candidate will be offered a fixed term contract of three (3) years, inclusive of the six month probationary period. Succesful candidate is expected to be on-board by 15 July 2015
How to apply:
Send your application to email@example.com highlighting your suitability and potential contribution to the position together with a detailed CV, including a recent passport-sized photograph and certified true copies of educational certificates obtained, and completed Employment Application Form, which can be donwloaded at www.asean.org.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.