Apply by: January 30, 2016
Organization: FORUM - ASIA
The Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA) is membership-based regional human rights organisation founded in 1991 with the mission to promote and protect all human rights, including the right to development, through collaboration and cooperation between human rights defenders and organisations in Asia.
Position : National Human Rights Institutions (NHRI) Advocacy Programme Officer
Location : Bangkok, Thailand
Employment Duration : 2 years from date of appointment Subject to a 3-month probation at the beginning of contract
Salary & Benefits :
• USD 28,600 per annum (2,200 USD per month + 13th month), may vary according to candidate’s experience and qualifications
• Health, dental and accident insurance
Closing date : 30 January 2016
Interview Dates : After 5 February 2016
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Country Programme Manager, the NHRI Advocacy Programme Officer will assist the Country Programme Manager in overseeing the implementation of Organisational Strategic Action Plan, in particular NHRI related programmes/projects. Specifically, the NHRI Advocacy Programme Officer shall:
1. Programme Management
- Attend or lead regular programme team meetings, and prepare minutes, if required;
- Coordinate with other programmes on organisational activities;
- Draft Terms of Reference (ToR) including job descriptions of team members such as intern(s) and volunteer(s), where relevant;
- Supervise the work of programme team members (interns and volunteers) as applicable; and
- Represent FORUM-ASIA in related meetings and forums on NHRI in consultation with the Country Programme Manager.
2. Planning and Budgeting
- Assist the Country Programme Manager in developing programme planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, including budget planning and projection; and
- Draft programme related concept notes and proposals as required.
3. Programme Implementation
- Be responsible for the implementation and coordination of the programme(s) and project(s) under his/her responsibility, including the organising and coordination of the Asian NGO Network of National Human Rights Institutions (ANNI), membership development, capacity building, and networking/coalition building;
- Monitor regularly the performance of NHRIs and respond to human rights issues that concern NHRIs whenever necessary;
- Coordinate regularly with other staff within the programme and with other programmes in relation to human rights issues that concern NHRIs;
- Communicate with FORUM-ASIA and ANNI members and partner organisations and respond to their requests;
- Organise forums, trainings, meetings in cooperation with other programmes concerned;
- Organise fact-finding or advocacy missions whenever necessary; and,
- Draft public statements, press releases and commentaries and/or articles for FORUM-ASIA publications and other media on issues related to the programme.
4. Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Assist in the overall monitoring and evaluation of organisational plans and budget according to the Annual Work-Plan and Budget; and
- Participate in team evaluations and follow-ups, as well as self-evaluations.
- Assist the Country Programme Manager in preparing periodic progress reports: monthly, quarterly, half yearly and annually, as required, in a results-based management framework; and
- Produce mission reports, including finance clearance after each mission.
5. Participation and Representation
- Represent the Secretariat in relevant meetings, forums, platforms, and processes that concern NHRIs both at regional and international levels.
6. Other Tasks
- Implement other relevant tasks and activities as assigned by the Country Programme Manager.
Basic Qualifications and Criteria
Education: Bachelors degree or higher in the field of human rights and/ or related subjects such as politics, social sciences, international relations, international law, development studies, or Asian studies. Competence:
- Mature personality; ability to work as a team in a multicultural and demanding working environment with cross-programme coordination.
- Excellent programme/ project management skills.
- Self-motivated, positive attitude, strategic thinking and multi-tasking ability.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage team deadlines.
- Minimum 3 years work experience in the field of human rights—preferably both national and regional/international NGOs in the field of human rights.
- In-depth understanding about the overall socio-political situation as well as human rights situation in the Asia region.
- Proven in-depth understanding of the actual application and implementation of international human rights instruments in a variety of situations.
- Knowledge in the working of NHRI in the Asia region and its mechanisms
- Preferably good understanding about the history and work of FORUM-ASIA.
- Good communication and public presentation skills in English.
- Excellent report-writing ability in organisational strategising and planning using Results Based Management (RBM) or Logical Framework Analysis (LFA) tools.
- Good advocacy and lobby skills with various stakeholders (government officials, diplomats, NGOs, NHRIs, media etc.).
- Excellent analytical and synthesis abilities.
- Familiar and equipped with some research methodology skills is an added advantage.
- Good computer and internet skills.
- Good organising and networking/coalition-building skills.
Interested applicants are requested to fill in the Job Application Form and return the form by email together with a self-introduction letter, two recommendation letters, preferably from FORUM-ASIA members/partners and a sample of writing to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 30 January 2016
You can get contact details of FORUM-ASIA’s member organisations at www.forum-asia.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to. The interview will be conducted by Skype starting 8 February 2016. A written test may be required after the interview.