Apply by: January 30, 2016
Organization: FORUM - ASIA
The Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA) is a membership-based regional human rights organisation founded in 1991 with the mission to promote and protect all human rights, including the right to development, through collaboration and cooperation between human rights defenders and organisations in Asia.
Position : Country Programme Manager (East and South Asia)
Location : Bangkok, Thailand
Employment Duration : 2 years from date of appointment Subject to a 3-month probation at the beginning of contract
Salary & Benefits
- USD 39,000 per annum (3,000 USD per month + 13th month), may vary according to candidate’s experience and qualifications
- Health, dental and accident insurance
Closing date : 30 January 2016
Interview Dates : After 5 February 2016
Summary of the Programme
Country Programme provides support for and facilitates communication and cooperation among member organisations across Asia. In addition, the Programme conducts and coordinates thematic and country campaigns and advocacy in cooperation with other related programmes within the Secretariat, focusing on freedom of expression, association, assembly, and democratisation. The Country Programme Manager is tasked to enhance the synergy of different projects/programmes within the Programme as well as inter-programme coordination within the Secretariat and with members for effective advocacy, campaigning, and networking.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of, and in close collaboration with, the Senior Management Team (SMT), the Country Programme Manager will be responsible for overall leadership, management and implementation of the Country Programme in a manner that optimally achieves the Programme and organisational targets and goals. Specifically, the Country Programme Manager shall:
1. Programme Management and Coordination
- Supervise and mentor a team composed of programme officer(s), associate(s), consultant(s), and fellows/interns, and ensure quality of Programme delivery;
- Lead regular Programme team meetings and implements decisions as agreed;
- Report regularly to the SMT about any development vis-à-vis the Programme;
- Coordinate with other programmes on Programme-related and other organisational activities;
- Facilitate inter-member coordination vis-à-vis Programme implementation at all levels;
- Maintain a cordial working relationship with UN HRC Special Procedures (mandate holders) on behalf of the Organisation vis-à-vis relevant thematic areas; and
- Maintain close contacts and engagement with relevant networks of civil society organisations, diplomatic missions, media, and other relevant stakeholders.
2. Planning and Budgeting
- Lead programme and budget planning processes of the Country Programme;
- Revise and update the plan periodically in light of field performance and effectiveness;
- Assist in overall organisational planning, including budgets; and
- Assist the SMT in drafting concept notes and proposals related to the Programme.
3. Programme Implementation
- Lead and coordinate the implementation of Programme activities in a cost-effective way;
- Conduct regional advocacy and campaigns on related thematic areas;
- Organise, facilitate, and participate in missions as necessary and planned;
- Organise sharing sessions and exchange forums in coordination with other Programmes; and
- Assist the SMT in developing and/or expanding and implementing other thematic issues relevant to the Programme.
4. Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Lead and coordinate regular monitoring and evaluation of programme plans and budgets;
- Develop periodic Programme reports in a result-based monitoring and evaluation framework against the annual work plan and budget and as per donor requirements;
- Produce and coordinate the production of, reports about missions under the Programme; and
- Participate in performance evaluations of team members.
5. Participation and Representation
- Participate in the Executive Committee meetings when required, and sub-regional forums organised by members; and
- Represent the Secretariat in other relevant meetings, forums, platforms, and processes both at regional and international levels.
6. Other Tasks
- Implement other relevant tasks and activities as assigned by the SMT.
Basic Qualifications and Criteria
Education: Masters degree in the field of human rights or a related subject such as human rights, politics, social sciences, international relations, international law, development studies, or Asian studies.
- Mature personality; ability to lead a team and work in a multicultural and demanding working environment with cross programme coordination.
- Excellent leadership and programme/ project management skills.
- Self-motivated, positive attitude, strategic thinking, and multi-tasking ability.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage team deadlines.
- Ability to facilitate forums/workshops and manage group activities.
- Minimum seven years work experience in the field of human rights—preferably both national and regional/international NGOs in the field of human rights.
- Preferably a minimum of three years work experience in organisation/programme/project management in a regional/international NGO.
- In-depth understanding about the overall socio-political situation as well as human rights situation in the Asia region.
- Proven in-depth understanding of the actual application and implementation of international human rights instruments in a variety of situations.
- Preferably good understanding about the history and work of FORUM-ASIA.
1. Good communication and public presentation skills in English.
2. Excellent report writing ability in organisational strategising and planning using Result Based Management (RBM) or Logical Framework Analysis (LFA) tools.
3. Good advocacy and lobby skills with various stakeholders (government officials, diplomats, NGOs, NHRIs, media, etc.).
4. Excellent analytical and synthesis abilities.
5. Good computer and internet skills.
Interested applicants are requested to fill in the Job Application Form and return the form by email together with a self-introduction letter, two recommendation letters, preferably from FORUM-ASIA members/partners and a sample of writing to: email@example.com before 30 January 2016
You can get contact details of FORUM-ASIA’s member organisations at www.forum-asia.org. Only shortlisted candidates will be responded to. The interview will be conducted in Bangkok or by Skype starting 8 February 2016. A written test may be required after the interview.