Home ASEAN Member States Brunei Darussalam Brunei Darussalam in ASEAN
Brunei Darussalam in ASEAN
Brunei joined the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) on 8 January 1984. Brunei has chaired ASEAN in 1989, 1995, 2001 and 2013. Human rights-related achievements or statements of intent under Brunei’s Chairmanship include:
- The 2001 7th ASEAN Summit Declaration on HIV/AIDS, through which ASEAN agreed to address the stigma and silence surrounding HIV/AIDS, eliminate discrimination against those suffering from HIV/AIDS, and provide for the prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS.
- The Chairman’s statement during the 22nd ASEAN Summit in April 2013, in which the Chair encouraged:
- the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights (AICHR) to implement the ASEAN Human Rights Declaration,
- the ASEAN Commission on the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Women and Children (ACWC) to prevent violence against women and children through a public information campaign and the drafting of an ASEAN Declaration on the Elimination of Violence Against Women and Children, and
- the ASEAN Labour Ministers Meeting (ALMM) to conclude the drafting of the ASEAN instrument on the protection and promotion of the rights of migrant workers.
The Legislative Council became a member of the ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly (AIPA) in August 2009 during the 30th AIPA General Assembly in Pattaya, Thailand.
Permanent Mission of Brunei Darussalam to ASEAN
Jl. Teuku Umar No. 9, Menteng
Republic of Indonesia
Tel: +62 (0) 21 31906080, 3928027/ 29
Fax: +62 (0) 21 31905313