Apply by: November 10, 2015
Currently the ASEAN Secretariat is looking for qualified candidates to fill the position of Senior Officer under the Strategic Planning & Coordination Division. The Division supports Each of ASEAN Department in the developing and implementation of programmes and projects.
The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Secretariat is the nerve centre of ASEAN, a regional inter-governmental organisation founded in 1967, to promote peace and stability, sustained economic growth, shared prosperity and social progress. It comprises the ten countries of Southeast Asia.
The entry into force of the ASEAN Charter on 15 December 2008 had provided new impetus to ASEAN’s integration efforts by establishing a legal and institutional framework required to achieve the ASEAN Community by 2015. This includes the newly approved organisational structure of the ASEAN Secretariat that is aligned to the requirements of the Charter and the three Blueprints of the ASEAN Political-Security Community (APSC), the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC), and the ASEAN Socio- Cultural Community (ASCC). The ASEAN Secretariat is therefore well positioned to provide the necessary functions required to effectively support the community building process under the Charter and the Blueprints.
Currently the ASEAN Secretariat is looking for qualified candidates to fill the position of Senior Officer under the Strategic Planning & Coordination Division. The Division supports Each of ASEAN Department in the developing and implementation of programmes and projects. It facilitates, monitors and coordinates multi-sector donor projects, and responsible for strengthening and maintaining the ASEC project management framework including the development of quality procedures and processes on project appraisal and approval, project monitoring and evaluation, and fund disbursement. The Senior Officer position shall work in close cooperation and consultation with, and report directly to the Head of Strategic Planning & Coordination Division.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manage the day-to-day activities of staff supervised by this position
- Assist the Head of Division in managing, planning and supervising tasks and activities of staff
- Conduct annual performance appraisals for staff, map training and professional development activities for staff
2. Support the strategic development of ASEAN programmes and projects
- Assist the Head of Division in facilitating and coordinating the smooth implementation of multi-sectoral programmes, including liaising with Dialogue Partners and implementing agencies
- Provide inputs into the design of ASEAN development cooperation programmes, in consultation with Dialogue Partners, implementing agencies, CPR and other ASEC Divisions/Departments
- Prepare reports on the progress of multi-sectoral programmes to ASEAN Member States and Dialogue Partners
- Support and coordinate the mid-term review and evaluation of multi-sectoral programmes
Assist the Head of Division in maintaining a strategic approach to resource mobilization, including:
- Identify areas of synergy or overlap across all sectors to allow coordinated resource mobilization.
- Monitor the project pipeline and coordinate briefings for donors on priority areas for funding.
- Liaise with the External Relations Divisions to ensure that funding priorities are effectively communicated to donors.
3. Support the ASEAN Secretariat project management framework
Assist the Head of Division in managing the project appraisal and approval process, including:
- Conduct initial compliance checks of project proposals
- Formulate and review project proposals, concept papers, and activity terms of reference in consultation with desk officers
- Manage the pre-appraisal and appraisal process, including acting as secretariat to the Project Appraisal Committee.
- Prepare project documentation for final approval by the Committee of Permanent Representatives to ASEAN.
- Monitor project approvals .
- Monitor the overall status of ASEAN cooperation projects, including drafting reports and updates on the implementation status and maintaining the project management database
- Assist the Head of Division in supporting the strengthening of project monitoring and evaluation in ASEAN, including the development of M&E components in project proposals
- Develop and maintain ASEAN’s / ASEC’s project / program development and management guidelines and methodology including ensuring relevant ISO quality procedures are appropriate.
4. Facilitate and service ASEAN meetings
- Supervise the logistical arrangement
- Prepare the necessary documents for the meeting
- Act as a resource person
- Prepare the meeting reports
- Represent the Division in internal and external meetings
- Coordinate the preparation of any necessary reports for the ASEAN Summit and related meetings
Qualifications and experience:
- Advanced degree in International Relations, Social sciences, Economics, Management, or an appropriate related field from a reputable university.
- Extensive supervisory experience, within management position with a minimum six (6) years high-level experience in a recognised specialised field;
- Solid knowledge of and experience in project management and monitoring and evaluation (M&E)
- Good understanding of aid effectiveness and development cooperation, including experience working in a developing country
- Demonstrated skills in problem solving, planning and the development of policies and procedures
- Understanding of international and regional issues, and knowledge of and commitment to ASEAN ideals;
- High-level interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills, including experience in cross-cultural environment and international settings;
- Proven ability to develop and maintain sound working relationships with government representatives, public and private sector organisations and other stakeholders;
- Proven ability for accuracy under pressure and adherence to deadlines;
- Excellent command of English, written and spoken.
Remuneration and Benefits:
Successful candidate will be offered an attractive remuneration package including housing, outpatient medical reimbursement, hospitalization insurance, education of dependent children and gratuity. Subject to good performance during the probation, the candidate will be offered a fixed term contract of three (3) years, inclusive of the six- month probationary period. Successful candidate is expected to be on-board by January 2016.
How to apply:
Send your application to [email protected] highlighting your suitability and potential contribution to the position together with a detailed CV, including a recent passport-sized photograph and certified true copies of educational certificates obtained, and completed Employment Application Form, which can be downloaded at www.asean.org.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please indicate on the subject heading: Application for Senior Officer SPCD.
Application papers should reach the ASEAN Secretariat by 10 November 2015.
The Selection Committee’s decision is final and only shortlisted candidates will be notified.