Apply by: December 22, 2014
Organization: Myanmar Centre for Responsible Business
The Myanmar Centre for Responsible Business seeks to provide an effective and legitimate platform for the creation of knowledge, capacity and dialogue concerning responsible business in Myanmar, based on local needs and international standards, that results in more responsible business practices
Reporting to: Programme and Outreach Manager
Salary: subject to skills and experience.
Start date: As soon as possible
Hours: 40 hours per week
Contract: One year fixed term (renewable subject to funding)
Location: Sanchaung, Yangon
1. Duties and responsibilities of the Programme and Communication Officer will include, but are not limited to:
Communication and Information
- Working with the Director and MCRB team to develop and implement acommunications and information strategy for the Centre, including ensuring follow up of the sector – wide impact assessments on oil and gas, tourism (2014) and ICT and agriculture (2015)
- Promoting and monitoring MCRB’s presence in Myanmar language media, including through drafting press releases, arranging press conferences, and monitoring coverage
- Acting as a Myanmar language
- spokesperson under the guidance of the MCRBDirector
- Supporting other members of MCRB in their contact with the media
- Using social media platforms (Facebook, Linked In) to promote the work of MCRB
- Ensuring that the Myanmar language pages of the MCRB website (www.mcrb.org.mm) are uptodate, correct, and useful (working under the guidance of the website manager in Europe)
- Developing, mapping and maintaining MCRB’srelationships with key stakeholders in the media, civil society, business and government
- Identifying relevant data and information concerning responsible business to share with relevant stakeholders
- Overseeing the translation into Myanmar and publication of resources on responsible business
Pwint Thit Sa, Programme, and transparency
- Lead the research on MCRB’s annual Pwint Thit Sa report which examines the transparency of the largest Myanmar companies on anti-corruption, organisational transparency and HSE/Human rights, including through contacts with companies
- Oversee the publication and dissemination of the Pwint Thit Sa Report
- Supporting the MCRB team in developing and delivering training programmes and building business-civil society links on responsible business, with a particular
- focus on anti-corruption and transparency.
2. PERSON SPECIFICATION
- Bachelor degree in any field from any recognized university.
Qualifications or training in:
- human rights, particularly business and human rights – development and social sciences
- media and communication
- Minimum 2 year work experience in media, NGO, business, international organisation in a position relevant to the role
- Experience in communication, including social media
- Experience in running training programmes
- Business experience
- Experience in data and information management
Knowledge and Skills
- Organizational skills and stakeholder management
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- English language skills (reading, speaking)
- Good Burmese typing skills.
- Excellent ICT skills including Microsoft Office programmes (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Working knowledge of information management including webpage design and social media.
- Able to work in a team, as well as proactively and independently.
- Flexible, able to work under pressure, multi-task and manage competing demands in a new and dynamic organization.
- Able to plan, organize and prioritize workload and meet deadlines.
- Attention to detail and able to maintain a high level of accuracy in preparing and presenting information.
- Able to maintain confidentiality.
- Cross – cultural awareness and sensitivity, and able to work with a range of individuals and organizations.
- An interest in the field of human rights, responsible business and transparency.
3. Application process:
- Deadline for application: 22 December 2014
- Interviews: Week commencing 5 January 2015
- Expected start date: As soon as possible there after
To apply for this role, please email your CV and cover letter to Shwe.Yee.Latt@myanmar-responsiblebusiness.org) copying in email@example.com indicating why you should be considered for this post ( showing your suitability for this role using the person specification) and where you saw the vacancy advertised.
Myanmar Centre for Responsible Business , located in Yangon, is a joint project of the Institute for Human Rights and Business and the Danish Institute for Human Rights (see below). It intends to provide a trusted, impartial forum for dialogue, seminars, and briefings to relevant parties as well as access to international expertise and tools. The Centre facilitates processes aimed at building national and local capacity and partnerships on business and human rights related issues. It seeks to involve Myanmar and international businesses, the Myanmar government, and local civil society. The Centre is supported by a number of governments, including the UK, Denmark, Norway, Switzerland, Netherlands and Ireland.
The Institute for Human Rights and Business (IHRB) is a global centre for policy andpractice on the relationship between business and internationally recognized human rights
principles and standards. IHRB provides a trusted, impartial space for dialogue and independent analysis to deepen understanding ofhuman rights challenges and the appropriate role of business.
The Danish Institute for Human Rights (DIHR) was established as the Danish Centre forHuman Rights by a parliamentary decision in 1987. In 2002, DIHR was established as anational human rights institution through the Act on the Establishment of the Danish Institute for International Studies and Human Rights (Act No. 411 of 6 June 2002). According to the Act, the Institute must endeavour to strengthen the collection, development and communication of knowledge about human rights in Denmark and Europe, and internationally.