Apply by: October 1, 2014
Organization: American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative
ABA ROLI is seeking a Program Director for its fundamental rights programs in Southeast Asia. The Program Director will oversee projects on internet freedom and LGBT rights, with the possibility of additional future programs to advance rights-based rule of law reform initiatives in the region.
The American Bar Association Rule of Law Initiative (ABA ROLI) is an international development program that promotes the rule of law by working with in-country partners to build sustainable institutions and societies that deliver justice, foster economic opportunity and ensure respect for human dignity. In collaboration with our in-country partners—including judges, lawyers, bar associations, law schools, court administrators, legislatures, ministries of justice, and human rights and civil society organizations—we design programs that are responsive to local needs and that prioritize sustainable solutions to pressing rule of law challenges. ABA ROLI has roughly 700 professional staff working in the United States and abroad, including a cadre of short- and long-term volunteers and legal specialists, who in fiscal year 2013 alone contributed $3.9 million in pro bono assistance.
ABA ROLI is seeking a Program Director for its fundamental rights programs in Southeast Asia. The Program Director will oversee projects on internet freedom and LGBT rights, with the possibility of additional future programs to advance rights-based rule of law reform initiatives in the region. This will be a full time position based in Manila.
- Provide oversight and coordination for all program activities, including country-based and regional trainings, meetings with high-ranking government officials, and ongoing initiatives to support advocates in the region
- Manage subgrants and monitor partners’ program implementation progress
- Coordinate with country-specific and regional networks of lawyers and advocates, business community leaders, and stakeholder organizations
- Build and sustain strong working partnerships with local human rights organizations
- Collect, organize, analyze, and report on program activities and impact, as well as relevant information pertaining to fundamental rights in Southeast Asia
- Nurture relationships with funders, government officials, and other key national and international stakeholders to build ABA ROLI’s standing and promote program activities and impacts
- Ensure that all activities are implemented in compliance with projects budgets, USG regulations, and ABA policies and procedures
- Assist in the development of proposals and budgets for new funding from third party donors and national governments to continue and expand upon efforts to protect fundamental rights in the region
- Manage local program staff
- A law degree or an advanced degree in a related field
- At least 7 years of directly applicable rule of law experience
- Strong managerial skills
- Superior judgment, diplomacy, and discretion on politically sensitive and/or high profile projects
- U.S. government grant management experience
- Facility working with an array of online tools, including training platforms, networking resources, and web-based content
- Fluency in English
- Previous experience in Southeast Asia
- Familiarity with internet freedom issues