Apply by: July 31, 2014
Organization: Asian Forum for Human Rights and Development (FORUM-ASIA)
The ASEAN Advocacy Programme provides support for and facilitates communication and cooperation among member organisations in Southeast Asia on human rights related issues in the Association for Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and its human rights mechanisms.
As a membership-based regional human rights organisation, FORUM-ASIA works to promote and protect all human rights, including the right to development, through collaboration and cooperation between human rights defenders and organisations in Asia. FORUM-ASIA presently has 47 member organisations across 16 countries in Asia. Founded in 1991, FORUM-ASIA is committed to building a peaceful, just, equitable and ecologically sustainable community of peoples and societies in Asia where all human rights of all individuals, groups and peoples—in particular, the poor, marginalised and discriminated people-are fully respected and realised in accordance with internationally accepted human rights norms and standards.
FORUM-ASIA, as a NGO in COnsultative Status with the United Nations, advocates human rights issues through engagement with governments, inter-governmental organisations and the United Nations for the better promotion and protection of all human rights.
The ASEAN Advocacy Programme provides support for and facilitates communication and cooperation among member organisations in Southeast Asia on human rights related issues in the Association for Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and its human rights mechanisms. The programme gives particular focus on strengthening and increasing space for effective civil society engagement in advancing ASEAN human rights mechanisms (the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights (AICHR) and the ASEAN Commission on the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Women and Children (ACWC) towards better respect and protection of human rights in the region.
Reporting directly to the ASEAN Advocacy Manager, the ASEAN Advocacy Programme Associate shall:
- Support the implementation of the ASEAN Advocacy Programme and provide administrative support for its activities
- Maintain the Human Rights in ASEAN Online Platform, update the website, and develop mechanism to enhance the outreach
- Monitor human rights situation in ASEAN region
- Identify commitments and activities derived from various meetings of ASEAN human rights system
- Facilitate the development of common advocacy positions and collaborative activities on key issues in the region for joint advocacy
- Help organise workshops and meetings as required
- Liaise and maintain networks with partners and regional organisations
- Follow-up on action points from CSOs and partners’ meetings
- Respond to queries and requests for information
- Other tasks as assigned by the ASEAN Advocacy Programme Manager
Bachelor’s degree or higher in the field of human rights or related subject such as law, political and social science, international relations, development or Southeast Asian Studies
- Mature personality; ability to work in a multicultural setting and demanding working environment with cross programme coordination.
- Self-motivated, down to earth, disciplined, positive attitude, flexibility in thinking and multi-tasking ability.
- Ability to work under pressure, less supervision and manage team’s deadlines.
- Ability to digest big amount of information and analyse and categorise them quickly.
- Good team player.
- Minimum two years work experience in the field of human rights – preferably both national and regional/ international NGOs in the field of human rights
- Preferably a minimum of one-year work experience in organisation/programme/project management in a regional/international NGO.
- Good understanding about the overall socio-political situation as well as human rights situation in Southeast Asia.
- Good knowledge of ASEAN in terms of its context, operation, contributions and limitations on human rights discourse.
- Good understanding of the actual application and implementation of international human rights instruments in a variety of situations.
- Good interpersonal communication and public presentation skills.
- Good command of both spoken and written English. Good command of one other ASEAN national languages would be an advantage.
- Excellent report writing ability.
- Familiarity with the use of Internet and website. Technical knowledge and expertise in webpage design and maintenance as well as the use of social media would be an advantage.
- Good skill on advocacy and lobby with various stakeholders (government officials, diplomats, NGOs, NHRIs, media etc.).
- Good analytical and synthesis abilities.
Those who are interested in the job are requested to fill in the FORUM-ASIA Job Application Form and return the form by email together with a self-introduction letter and two recommendation letters (at least one from one of the member organisations of FORUM-ASIA) to: firstname.lastname@example.org before 31 July 2014.
The successful candidate will be contacted for an interview to be conducted in Jakarta or by Skype between 1-10 August 2014. The interview may include a written test or practical test.