Apply by: May 23, 2016
FIDH is an international human rights NGO federating 178 organizations from 120 countries. Since 1922, FIDH has been defending all civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights as set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
In partnership with our member organizations in 18 countries across Asia, the FIDH Asia Desk works to promote and protect human rights across the region.
Our activities include:
- Developing advocacy strategies on thematic issues relevant in the region, including the protection of human rights defenders, human rights in the context of business and economic development, and the death penaltyP
- Conducting fact-finding and advocacy missions to countries in the region
- Preparing and publishing reports on relevant human rights issues
- Organising advocacy visits to New York, Geneva, and Brussels with representatives from our member organisations to meet with UN, EU, and government officials
- Responding to urgent human rights violations through public and private advocacy efforts
Intern’s responsibilities may include:
- Following news developments in the region, as well as tracking and analyzing relevant decisions and statements by the UN, EU, and governments on human rights issues in the region
- Drafting press releases, position notes, and report chapters
- Researching human rights issues and compiling/analysing data on human rights violations
- Participating in meetings with human rights defenders and partners
- Helping plan and organise advocacy visits and missions
- Good working knowledge of current affairs and international human rights norms
- Familiarity with UN or EU bodies, and international human rights law preferred
- Fluency in English is necessary. Preference will be given to qualified candidates who can also speak French and/or an official language spoken in the Asia region (notably Chinese, Korean, Urdu, Bangla, Persian, Dari, Hindi, Japanese, or Tamil)
- Availability to work 35 hours per week from June 1 to October 31, 2016
- Currently registered at a recognised academic institution that can provide a “convention de stage”.
How to apply:
- A cover letter,
- A copy of your resume/CV, and
- One or two short writing samples in English (1 to 5 pages maximum), preferably a non-academic piece, such as a policy memo, an op-ed/article, or press release via email with the subject line: ‘FIDH-Asia Internship Candidate 2016’, to Ms. Michelle Kissenkoetter (Director of FIDH Asia Desk, Paris) at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 23, 2016.
Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted