Apply by: September 12, 2015
EngageMedia uses the power of video, the internet and free software technologies to create social and environmental change. We harness old and new media to assist movements challenge social injustice and environmental damage, as well as to present solutions.
EngageMedia works with independent filmmakers, video activists, technologists, campaigners and social movements to generate wider audiences for their vital messages and move people to action.
For a fuller view of EngageMedia’s work please see our projects page and blog.
by Andrew — August 27, 2015
EngageMedia is looking for a dynamic, highly-motivated professional to lead its Southeast team and programs, and supervise its operations. EngageMedia’s activities in Southeast Asia span the region with particular focus on Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Myanmar.
The Regional Director oversees the Southeast Asia aspects of EngageMedia’s work including program implementation and development, partnerships, communications, fundraising and grant management. The position works in close cooperation with the Director of Strategy and Development to provide financial oversight, coordinate regional strategy implementation and program planning, oversee outreach, and contribute to organisational development.
The Regional Director oversees the Operations Manager and their responsibilities vis-a-vis human resources, policies and procedures, and finance.
Applications should be emailed to [email protected] with the title “Regional Director”. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and we seek to fill the position as soon as possible.
If you have previously applied for this position we ask that you not resubmit.
- Ensure the effective implementation of the organisations’ programs and strategy in Southeast Asia
- Sustain and develop relationships with South East Asia-based partners and funders
- Facilitate and input into South East Asia-based program design
- Ensure a productive and well managed working environment for staff
- Input into organisational strategy development
Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide oversight and direction to projects and project managers, including monitoring activities and implementation
- Contribute to program design
- Schedule and plan the organisation’s Southeast Asia activities, ensuring resources are properly distributed and meet required deadlines in coordination with the Director of Strategy and Development
Partner Development, and Outreach and Networking
- Maintain and develop partnerships with a range of organisations, individuals, networks and foundations based within South-East Asia, including attending relevant events
- Provide oversight to communications activities
- Assist in promoting the organisation via mainstream media, blogging and social media activities
- Produce written materials outlining the work of the organisation and it’s mission, presenting and promoting the organisation in a consistent and positive manner
Strategy and Planning
- Facilitate and provide input into strategy development, including anticipating changes and planning for growth
- Ensure implementation of the strategic plan, with direct oversight of SEA-based activities
- Work with the Director of Strategy and Development in managing relations with funding bodies
- Assist the Director of Strategy and Development in preparing proposals for funders
- Lead fundraising opportunities and lead grant reporting within South East Asia
- Pursue and oversee consultancy work
- Monitor the annual budget in coordination with the Operations Manager and Director of Strategy and Development
- Monitor project budgets and oversee their tracking in cooperation with the Operations Manager
- Authorise invoices and staff pay as required
Policies and Procedures
- Ensure policies and procedures are followed, maintaining proactive liason with the Board as required
- Ensure that personnel policies are adhered to in all employment practices
- Oversee the production of program reports for Committee of Management meetings
- Oversee staff development, coaching and performance management in coordination with the Operations Manager
- Directly coordinate senior programme and operational staff
- With the Operations Manager coordinate the initiation and termination of contracts in a manner consistent with policy
- Conduct annual performance reviews
- Minimum undergraduate university degree
- Minimum 8 years of experience in a senior management position in a media or non-profit organisation
- Familiarity with working in virtual workplaces with decentralised teams
- Excellent communications skills including proficiency in English and at least one Southeast Asian language
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing projects and programs
- Results oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities
- Demonstrated experience in finance monitoring
- Familiarity with foundation funding models, grant writing and reporting
- Experience in working in the media and advocacy sectors
- Familiarity working with technology and an interest in its development
- Motivated and self-organised
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse beneficiaries and partners
- Leadership and team building skills – ability to draw people together and move them toward common goals
- Strong networks in the advocacy and non-profit sector in Southeast Asia
Start Date, Location and Remuneration
The position starts as soon as possible. An initial 12 month, full time contract will be offered. The position must be based in a major Southeast Asia capital, or in the organisation’s Yogyakarta office. Presence in the Indonesia office is required at minimum on a quarterly basis.
A competitive international NGO wage, attuned to cost of living in the position’s location, will be offered. A monthly communications allowance and travel insurance is included.
How to Apply
- describe your interest in the position and why you would want to work with EngageMedia; (Max 500 words)
- append your CV and the names of contacts of two referees.
Applications should be emailed to job[email protected] with the title “Regional Director”. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and we seek to fill the position as soon as possible.
All applications with be kept strictly confidential. Only short-listed applicants will be notified.