September 22, 2021
CSO Event in Switzerland
Join FORUM-ASIA and Progressive Voice at this side event of the 48th United Nations Human Rights Council Regular Session HRC 48 which will be held on Wednesday, September 22, 2021, 1:00 pm (CEST) /6:00 pm (Indochina Time).
Myanmar people are continuing to resist the Military’s attempts to seize power in the country more than eight months after the Myanmar military initiated a coup d’état.
Civil servants, private sector employees and civilians are the force behind ongoing protests, boycotts, strikes and coordinated civil disobedience movements. Since February, over 400,000 civil servants have been on strike against the junta.
But these nationwide protests and popular movements have been met with brutality and violent tactics perpetrated by the Military. The junta has killed over 1,000 people, including at least 75 children, and arrested nearly 8,000 in the 8 months since their illegal coup attempt.
Join us in this side event as we update the UN Human Rights Council and the wider international community on the situation in the country from the perspectives of the National Unity Government (NUG), Myanmar civil society organizations and people’s resistance to the attempted military coup.
– Aung Myo Min, Minister for Human Rights, National Unity Government of Myanmar
– Khin Ohmar, Founder and Chairperson, Progressive Voice, Myanmar
– Naw Htoo Htoo, Programme Director, Karen Human Rights Group, Myanmar
– Dr. Troy, Member of Myanmar Doctors Network for Human Rights
– Ahmed Adam, FORUM-ASIA Programme Manager