Apply by: May 31, 2016
ASEAN Secretariat is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the position of Technical Officer, under the Disaster Management and Humanitarian Assistance Division, Sustainable Development Directorate, ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Department. This position reports to Assistant Director/Head Disaster Management & Humanitarian Assistance Division.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide technical and administrative support to the Conference of the Parties (COP) to the AADMER, the ACDM, the Governing Board for the AHA Centre, the ACDM Working Groups and Task Forces, and other relevant bodies related to AADMER and the ASCC Blueprint implementation.
- Prepare relevant documents for the meetings;
- Coordinate meeting logistics with the host country;
- Assist in the rapporteuring works in the meetings;
- Coordinate the follow-up actions and decisions; and
- Provide technical inputs in the meetings as required.
2. Provide technical and administrative support for the implementation of the AADMER Work Programme and perationalization of the plans and tools under the Work Programme.
- Provide administrative and technical support for the implementation of activities assigned to and/or facilitated by the ASEAN Secretariat under the AADMER Work Programme;
- Provide assistance in the implementation of capacity building activities under the AADMER Work Programme;
- Assist in the development and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation of the AADMER Work Programme; and
- Provide administrative and technical support for the development and implementation of standard operating procedures and other operational plans and tools under the AADMER.
3. Provide technical and administrative support for the operationalisation of the AHA Centre as the operational arm of AADMER.
- Assist in the implementation of projects related to the AHA Centre that are managed through the ASEAN Secretariat;
- Liaise with the staff and experts of the AHA Centre in the implementation of the activities and meetings;
- Prepare relevant documents for the activities and meetings as required;
- Support meeting logistics in coordination with the AHA Centre;
- Assist in the rapporteuring works in the meetings in coordination with the AHA Centre; and
- Assists the follow-up actions and decisions.
4. Provide technical and administrative support with respect to project appraisal, project implementation and project monitoring in the area of disaster management and humanitarian assistance.
- Conduct appraisal of relevant projects in the area of disaster management and humanitarian assistance;
- Coordinate with project proponents/ managers on the development of background papers, progress and completion reports, and other relevant papers;
- Monitor projects and report on implementation issues to supervisors;
- Prepare, compile and maintain data/ records documentation of cooperation projects, including assisting in the preparation of progress and completion reports;
- Manage and monitor project funds and, together with Finance Budget Division, ensure that financial reports are submitted regularly and timely; and
- Participate in relevant Project Steering Committee (PSC) meetings.
5. Facilitate communication and cooperation with Member States, and liaise with them in the implementation of AADMER and the ASCC Blueprint.
- Assist in identifying areas for maintaining and improving communication with Member States and building their trust, confidence and commitment to the implementation of AADMER and the ASCC Blueprint; and
- Compile data, develop papers and provide regular updates to maintain communication and improve cooperation with the Member States.
6. Facilitate communication and cooperation with partners, including ASEAN Dialogue Partners, United Nations, Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, other international organisations, academe, civil society, private sector and other humanitarian partners, and liaise with them, in relation to the implementation of AADMER and the ASCC Blueprint.
- Compile data, develop papers, and provide regular updates to maintain communication with the partners;
- Develop and maintain database and systems of partners and stakeholders that are contributing or have the potential to contribute to the implementation of AADMER Work Programme;
- Assist in identifying common areas where partners could contribute their resources and expertise, and where collaboration can further be strengthened;
- Assist in developing partnership strategy to strengthen collaboration with the identified partners; and
- Participate in relevant discussions and meetings to improve communication and/or strengthen collaboration with the partners.
7. Perform other relevant duties as assigned by the Head of DMHA Division and/or other designated officers.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Disaster Management, Developmental Studies, Public Administration, International Relations or other related discipline with at least five (5) years relevant working experience. Candidate with Advanced Degree in any of the above disciplines with three (3) years relevant working experience with proven track record and exposure to disaster management in a government, international organisation and/or private sector;
- Experience in dealing with a wide spectrum of areas in disaster management at development cooperation (policies, trends, issues and development), preferably at regional and international environment;
- Exposure to relevant activities dealing with various international organisations, related institutions and/or private sector;
- Proven skills in problem solving in a complex organisational environment and in work planning;
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, monitor and review policy and procedures;
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organise tasks and work flows, with proven ability for accuracy under pressure and adherence to deadlines;
- Very good oral and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work harmoniously in a team environment and with diverse groups of individuals in cross-cultural environment and international settings;
- Willing to be deployed as part of the ASEAN Emergency Response and Assessment Team (ERAT) to disaster affected areas within 24 hours.;
- High integrity and conscientiousness, and ability to project professionalism; and
- Competency in computer skills with adequate knowledge of Microsoft Office and Outlook where relevant to the position.
Remuneration and Benefits:
Successful candidate will be offered an attractive remuneration package including monthly transportation allowance, outpatient medical reimbursement, hospitalisation & life insurance, annual bonus of a month’s basic salary, and gratuity. Subject to good performance during the probation, the candidate will be offered a fixed term contract of three (3) years, inclusive of the 6-month probationary period.
How to apply
Send your application to [email protected] highlighting your suitability and potential contribution to the position together with a detailed CV, certified true copies of educational certificates, and complete ASEC Employment Application Form attached with recent photograph. Applications sent without the three documents mentioned above will NOT be considered.
Please indicate on the subject heading: Application for TO Disaster Management & Humanitarian Assistance Division.
Application documents should reach the ASEAN Secretariat by 31 May 2016.
The Selection Committee’s decision is final and only shortlisted candidates will be notified
ASEC Employment Form can be downloaded here