Apply by: October 31, 2016
Organization: International Commission of Jurists (ICJ)
The Intern will be based in the Asia Pacific office of the ICJ in Bangkok, Thailand, and will be integrated into the ASEAN Programme.
The Intern shall have the following qualifications:
- A degree in law, or previous experience in the practice of law, or in the field of human rights working with a national or regional human rights organization;
- Excellent knowledge of public international law, including international human rights law and human rights protection mechanisms at the United Nations and regional level;
- Fluency in English; and
- Excellent research and writing skills. The Intern will have the opportunity to contribute to ICJ’s work on strengthening access to justice mechanisms in the region and participate in the development of ICJ advocacy strategies and meetings.
The Intern will be supervised by ICJ’s Senior International Legal Adviser for Southeast Asia, and will work with other ICJ staff in Bangkok and Geneva.
In addition to key tasks highlighted above, the Intern will contribute to the following activities:
- Strengthening access to justice mechanisms in Southeast Asia, focusing on security laws in the region, their implementation in the context of counter – terrorism and the impact of those laws on human rights;
- Litigation research and support (in the form of amicus curiae or expert legal opinions) for ongoing human rights litigation in courts across the region;
- Written and oral interventions at the UN Human Rights Council and press statements to the media;
- Advocating for the development of an ASEAN human rights mechanism for the promotion and protection of human rights in the region.
The Intern is also expected to provide logistical support in the preparation of meetings, missions, and regional conferences. The Internship period shall be for a minimum period of 4 months to a maximum period of 6 months.
The Intern shall be responsible for all expenses and costs incurred during the fellowship period. This includes travel, accommodation, and any relocation costs. ICJ is unable to provide/organize travel or housing arrangements for interns.
Please submit applications with cover letter, resume, and names and contact details of at least 2 references to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline: Open